Thursday, May 16, 2013

OCD Speaking Rituals: Tongue

Speaking rituals (compulsive behavior) are a routine of words I sometimes say in order to feel more comfortable in certain circumstances. I have spent countless hours muttering spoken OCD rituals.

At some point, I realized that some of my biggest struggles have to do with my tongue.

Pride, control, and speaking rituals (which I talk about in a previous post) all spew out from my tongue.

I would like to mention some truths and things I've learned about the tongue:

but no human being can tame the tongue. - James 3:8(a)

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. - James 1:26 (NIV)

Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. - James 3:10 (NIV)


Beth Moore writes:
"... the human tongue can be lit by either source: Heaven or hell."
"We do have a choice which fire lights our tongues. Just keep in mind that the natural default setting leans south."


Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. - James 3:5-6

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I work in the health field. I am not an expert in anything faith-related, nor do I work in a faith-related area. The things I write are things I've learned and/or things I believe. I learned them from sermons, Bible teacher(s), Bible study, life, and/or etc. I take things I've learned and see how I believe they could be applied to OCD based on my experiences, etc. with OCD. I am not saying to use any of the things on this blog as treatment. Maybe you'll find some things in my blog posts to help you on top of whatever treatment method(s) you have chosen/choose to use or not use for your OCD, but you do so at your own risk. I am not responsible for any of your choices, actions, decisions. I am not responsible for any of your results, nor your lack of results. I have read something similar or the same as this in the past from a Bible teacher: If anything I ever write doesn't line up with God's Word, please throw it out.

NEXT POST:
OCD and Romans 7

OTHER POSTS:
List of Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment