Wednesday, May 15, 2013

OCD Speaking Rituals: Pride and Control

Speaking rituals are a compulsive behavior I've struggled with for a while. Most of the time, the rituals don't just include me, though, they also include some of the people I'm closest to.

Many people with OCD have certain "rules" laid out in order to help them feel more comfortable. But, oh, how often things don't go "according to plan" and those so-called "rules" just don't pan out the way we think they should. The people in my life who follow my OCD rules try really hard, but sometimes the rules get "broken" unintentionally and then I feel like I need to say a spoken ritual because of it.

First of all, as I've mentioned in a previous post, feelings can lie. Second, satan's lies are at the root of those compulsive behaviors. I know I don't actually have to do a speaking ritual to feel better, but the enemy's lies make it difficult to push past the feelings and not carry out the ritual in the moment.

However, what I want to focus on in this post is the pride and control that play a big part in bringing the speaking rituals out.

If people don't follow my rules, we have to say a routine in order for me to feel more comfortable. Pride and control.

A man’s pride will bring him low, but the humble in spirit will retain honor. - Proverbs 29:23 (NKJV)

My pride, control, and the spoken rituals are a daily struggle against the flesh.

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. - Romans 7:15 (NIV)

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. - Matthew 26:41b


For myself, in regards to the subject matter in this post, I believe:
Losing pride and control is about being submissive.


In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” - 1 Peter 5:5

"Often, the enemy will also stir pride in us to keep strongholds from being broken. Humility is a necessary part of the mind-set for someone ready to be free. In the body of Christ, the proud are never the free." - Beth Moore

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I work in the health field. I am not an expert in anything faith-related, nor do I work in a faith-related area. The things I write are things I've learned and/or things I believe. I learned them from sermons, Bible teacher(s), Bible study, life, and/or etc. I take things I've learned and see how I believe they could be applied to OCD based on my experiences, etc. with OCD. I am not saying to use any of the things on this blog as treatment. Maybe you'll find some things in my blog posts to help you on top of whatever treatment method(s) you have chosen/choose to use or not use for your OCD, but you do so at your own risk. I am not responsible for any of your choices, actions, decisions. I am not responsible for any of your results, nor your lack of results. I have read something similar or the same as this in the past from a Bible teacher: If anything I ever write doesn't line up with God's Word, please throw it out.

NEXT POST:
OCD: Speaking Rituals. Tongue.

OTHER POSTS:
List of Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment