Tuesday, May 21, 2013

OCD and Romans 7

(Side note: This post is not meant to take away from the true meaning of Romans 7, which is referring to something a lot bigger and a lot more important than OCD.)

Having said that, I was reading Romans 7 recently and OCD came to mind.

The title of the first part of Romans 7 in the NKJV is, 'Freed from the Law'. The NIV title is, 'Released From the Law, Bound to Christ'.

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. - Romans 7:25b

But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code. - Romans 7:6

If any of you have ever felt bound to OCD "rules", it can feel a lot like a written code of law.

When we are tied to OCD's so-called rules, we need to be freed from them.


I realize there are obviously major differences between God's Law and OCD rules:
One of them is that the law is not sin (Romans 7:7).

With OCD (or anything in life), when we believe satan's lies over God, we are not trusting in God and, therefore, I believe we are sinning.

for whatever is not from faith is sin. - Romans 14:23b

Two other verses that stood out to me in regards to OCD are:

For in my inner being I delight in God's law, but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. - Romans 7:22-23

I've learned and believe that the enemy works through OCD and wages war against the mind and makes us prisoners of OCD.
(That reminds me of Joyce Meyer referring to the mind as a battlefield.)

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I work in the health field. I am not an expert in anything faith-related, nor do I work in a faith-related area. The things I write are things I've learned and/or things I believe. I learned them from sermons, Bible teacher(s), Bible study, life, and/or etc. I take things I've learned and see how I believe they could be applied to OCD based on my experiences, etc. with OCD. I am not saying to use any of the things on this blog as treatment. Maybe you'll find some things in my blog posts to help you on top of whatever treatment method(s) you have chosen/choose to use or not use for your OCD, but you do so at your own risk. I am not responsible for any of your choices, actions, decisions. I am not responsible for any of your results, nor your lack of results. I have read something similar or the same as this in the past from a Bible teacher: If anything I ever write doesn't line up with God's Word, please throw it out.

NEXT POST:
OCD: Spiritual Armor

OTHER POSTS:
List of Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment