Tuesday, April 2, 2013

OCD: Spiritual Struggle

With Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, there is a physical lack of seratonin in the brain. My OCD is something physical, but what lies behind it is also very much a spiritual struggle. The enemy recognizes the lack as a weakness and tries to use it to attack me.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. - Ephesians 6:12 (NIV)

"You and I have no idea what's going on in the unseen world when we're being attacked." - Beth Moore

Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. - 1 Peter 5:8b

"... satan will attack weak spots..." - Max Lucado

"satan ... ... works through or takes advantage of our weaknesses..." - Joyce Meyer


I believe there are multiple ways satan uses my OCD to attack me. One of those ways is through obsessive thoughts. For years of my life, I have experienced disabling self-doubt. My self-doubt isn't caused by people, though. Throughout my life, I have been around people who have built me up and encouraged me. My self-doubt comes about because of obsessive thoughts. But, at the root of the character-attacking, distressing obsessive thoughts is satan.

Since I was a young girl, satan has tried to break me down - one DOUBT, one WORRY, one FEAR, and one "WHAT-IF" at a time. All of those things are based on lies and, for me, they often come out in the form of obsessive thoughts. Other intrusive and distressing obsessive thoughts are lies satan wants me to believe, as well. Many of the thoughts attack my character and have caused me to doubt who I am as a person. I have been broken down and damaged in many ways due to satan's lies, but God has begun repairing the damage and has been building me from the inside.


Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I work in the health field. I am not an expert in anything faith-related, nor do I work in a faith-related area. The things I write are things I've learned and/or things I believe. I learned them from sermons, Bible teacher(s), Bible study, life, and/or etc. I take things I've learned and see how I believe they could be applied to OCD based on my experiences, etc. with OCD. I am not saying to use any of the things on this blog as treatment. Maybe you'll find some things in my blog posts to help you on top of whatever treatment method(s) you have chosen/choose to use or not use for your OCD, but you do so at your own risk. I am not responsible for any of your choices, actions, decisions. I am not responsible for any of your results, nor your lack of results. I have read something similar or the same as this in the past from a Bible teacher: If anything I ever write doesn't line up with God's Word, please throw it out.

NEXT POST:
OCD: Who Am I?


OTHER POSTS:
List of Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment