Sunday, March 24, 2013

OCD: Introduction

One definition I found on the internet defines Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder as "an anxiety disorder characterized by recurrent and persistent thoughts and feelings and repetitive, ritualized behaviors."

That makes it sound somewhat simple, non-complicated, etc. when, in actuality, it's quite the opposite. Definitions don't allow a person to feel or understand the difficulty, emotion, and pain that is actually experienced. I realize the job of definitions is to give people basic knowledge and, therefore, they serve their purpose. But, OCD is one of those things that is not easily explained in the definition itself.

Many people, when they see the letters O-C-D, think of germ phobias, cleaning, excessive hand-washing, organizing, and/or hoarding. However, there are other facets to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, as well. A main way OCD manifests itself in me is through obsessive thoughts, which have, in turn, caused me to have major self-doubt... to the point of being disabling at times in my life. Over the years, my OCD has taken on many different forms of both obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors - some things have been more of a struggle than others.

I'm not sure exactly what age, but my first memories of having any OCD symptoms are when I was a young girl. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is the kind of disorder that is easily hidden at times, but can be extremely distressing. If you are close enough to me, or have been, you might have had a glimpse into how disabling it can be. It has only been during some of my adult years that it has been to that extent, though. Not many know the extremes to which OCD has affected and still does affect my life.




The photo above is not necessarily an age when I remember experiencing OCD symptoms. But, since I mentioned myself as a young girl, I decided to add a photo of myself.

OCD has also been a HUGE blessing in so many ways. God has used it to help shape me into the person I am and the person I'm still becoming. I have also met and become close with people I might not have otherwise. I might not be as deep in my faith as I am at this point in my life if it weren't for having OCD. And, there are probably numerous other ways God has blessed me through it.

I'm still in the midst of the storm called OCD and maybe I will be for the rest of my life - to some extent or another. But, I have learned and believe that if God allows it, He has reason(s) and will use it. I may not ever understand His reason(s), but I trust Him. Our sufferings are never for naught.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. - Proverbs 3:5

" To get through difficult times that seem to defy explanation, we are helped greatly when we choose to trust God's sovereignty. Trusting God's sovereignty means trusting that if He has allowed something difficult and shocking to happen to one of His children, He plans to use it mightily... ..." - Beth Moore

"Jesus really will use every ounce of what you're going through" - Beth Moore

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. - Romans 8:28 (NKJV)

Over the next number of weeks, I am planning to share some things I have learned that I believe can be helpful in dealing with OCD. Some things can be applied to other aspects of life, as well. They are things I've learned along the way (in studies, life, etc.), so I decided to share them.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I work in the health field. I am not an expert in anything faith-related, nor do I work in a faith-related area. The things I write are things I've learned and/or things I believe. I learned them from sermons, Bible teacher(s), Bible study, life, and/or etc. I take things I've learned and see how I believe they could be applied to OCD based on my experiences, etc. with OCD. I am not saying to use any of the things on this blog as treatment. Maybe you'll find some things in my blog posts to help you on top of whatever treatment method(s) you have chosen/choose to use or not use for your OCD, but you do so at your own risk. I am not responsible for any of your choices, actions, decisions. I am not responsible for any of your results, nor your lack of results. I have read something similar or the same as this in the past from a Bible teacher: If anything I ever write doesn't line up with God's Word, please throw it out.


NEXT POST:
OCD: Spiritual Struggle

OTHER POSTS:
List of Posts


No comments:

Post a Comment