Sunday, April 21, 2013

Is this OCD or the "Hokey Pokey"?

I've had this thing where, if I didn't touch my right foot to the floor last when getting into bed or while in bed, I worried that something bad would happen to someone I love.

Of course I know that whatever foot I touch to the floor last does not affect what happens to someone. And, of course I know I don't have that kind of control. But, satan placing a little "what-if", "worry", and/or "doubt" in a person's mind can cause enough fear in a person, that they do a compulsive behavior "just in case". And, if you let it, something as simple as getting into bed can turn into a little "hokey pokey dance" of a sort, but without the fun.

Oh, I imagine satan laughs as we do those little "dance numbers".

Well, guess what, satan, I'm not going to do that "left foot in, right foot out, right foot in, hokey pokey" dance for you! I'm getting into bed! And, maybe I'll even touch my LEFT FOOT to the ground LAST on purpose just to spite you, satan, and to show that I trust GOD and I know that HE is in control.

Below are some things you could say, think, and/or remember in those OCD moments.

1) "God would not make me do this."

When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. - James 1:13-14

2) "My compulsive behaviors do not affect whether or not something happens to someone. I do not have that kind of control. God is the One in control."
(You know that logically, but it might help to hear yourself say those words once in a while.)


God is in control.

GOD <---------- "... and that's what it's all about." (Hokey Pokey)


Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I work in the health field. I am not an expert in anything faith-related, nor do I work in a faith-related area. The things I write are things I've learned and/or things I believe. I learned them from sermons, Bible teacher(s), Bible study, life, and/or etc. I take things I've learned and see how I believe they could be applied to OCD based on my experiences, etc. with OCD. I am not saying to use any of the things on this blog as treatment. Maybe you'll find some things in my blog posts to help you on top of whatever treatment method(s) you have chosen/choose to use or not use for your OCD, but you do so at your own risk. I am not responsible for any of your choices, actions, decisions. I am not responsible for any of your results, nor your lack of results. I have read something similar or the same as this in the past from a Bible teacher: If anything I ever write doesn't line up with God's Word, please throw it out.

NEXT POST:
OCD: Cleaning? Nah.

OTHER POSTS:
List of Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment